Reporting LIVE From This Computer

Over the past 2 to 3 weeks my group and I have been watching Wave 3 news at six, every afternoon. Along the way, we have learned many new things about the news channel and how they run things on their station. There are some things I have grown to enjoy but other things that I am not very fond of and would rather them consider modifying. 

First off, I’ve noticed that there is a lot of crime reported in the news. That isn’t just a Wave thing but many other news stations have that same thing, where crime news takes up much of the report. Now the reason why crime stories are a higher number than much of the other topics is because a lot of crime is happening in the world, and the news stations, such as Wave, can’t control that. What they can control however, is what stories are worth telling, or even repeating. There are some crime stories that have been mentioned that we would have been better off just not knowing. We don't need to know about the same girl that's been missing. Mentioning it once is fine, but I don't think it's so important that we should be updated on it very single time we check the news. 

Along with that something else I found quite irritating was the consistent overload of sports being reported. A good 10-15 min. of the news, usually the last segment after the new break is completely focused on sports. It's understandable to have sports because I myself am a sports fan and like to be updated on what's going on in the sports world. But the news doesn't have to have half it's segment consisting of sports when there are other political issues that need to be covered, let alone mentioned to the general public.   

Comments

Popular Posts