Class Response: September 4th, 2018

Today in class we discussed mass communication, with Mr. Miller explaining it, and us (the class) adding on our questions and opinions. I didn't contribute much to the class, (which is something I need to work on) but I did learn some new things. Such as the three types of mass communications which include mass communication, group communication, and individual communication. And after we discussed the three types of communication Mr. Miller asked us to think of an example of something that uses all three communications at once. It was one of those questions that really makes you think hard until you get it, or at least think you did. I raised my hand so confidently thinking I had the right answer. I said that something that uses all three communications would be social media because you can message someone privately (individual communication), you can post a picture on a public account (mass communication), and post something privately (group communication). Now that wasn't the right answer and as I think back to what I said, I really should have thought it through before I decided to share it with the whole class. After many attempts from different people in the class, Mr. Miller told us a correct example. Thinking back to the presidential debates in 2016, that was an example of all three communications. The two debating (Trump and Hilary) was an example of individual communication. The audience in the crowd watching is group communication. The viewers watching live from home represent mass communication.

Overall I enjoyed the discussion of today's topic and I feel like I was more connected to what was going on then usual. But I still want to try and participate more even if what I say could be wrong because I could still benefit from a learning experience. I did however find the discussion more interesting when we used examples of how we find mass communication in our lives rather then just discussing the definition.

Comments

Popular Posts